[3830] CQWW CW 9Y4/VE3EY SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nick.lekic@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9Y4/VE3EY SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 04:05:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9Y4/VE3EY
Operator(s):
Station: 9Y4/VE3EY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: 9Y4
Operating Time (hrs): 45.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  419    18       62
   80: 1197    23       81
   40: 1614    25       84
   20: 2006    28       91
   15:  927    20       66
   10:   11     9       11
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Many thanks to Dragan, VE3FF who traveled along and spent some time in sunny
Trinidad to share the pain in raising the antennas and also get a taste of
propagation from southern latitudes. The list of things he helped me with over
the time is too long to even mention here.

Also thanks to YT1NT, VE3UTT, 9Y4D and 9Y4W for their help and advice.

We brought with us some additional hardware this year. Namely a second radio and
a 3 band Spiderbeam.

This of course meant more weight to carry, more work and more things to
potentially go wrong and it did.  We had number of RFI related issues which
thanks to expert advice by YT1NT we managed to bring down to a tolerable level.
RFI was getting into the YCCC SO2R box causing it to cease sending CW on 160. It
was also tripping out the CAT control for both radios.

We managed to cure most of it by coiling the feed line for both verticals into a
makeshift Common Mode Choke and to wrap the powered USB hub with some kitchen
aluminum sheets of foil we purchased at the nearby mini mart.

We were only able to bring one amp along. Other radio was used barefoot.  Almost
all of 40 meter contacts were logged with low power as well as on 20 whenever 15
was workable.

Low bands were in great shape, better than anything I can remember but high
bands suffered. I heard pretty much no activity on 21 at all on days leading up
to the event. Lots of CQ-in on high bands and disappointing hour rates.

R1:  K3s/10 + SPE 1.3KFA @ 1KW
R2:  K3/100 @ 100W

Ant1: 160/80, "T" loaded 60 foot tall vertical
Ant2: 40-10, BigIR vertical
Ant3: 20/15/10, 3band Spiderbeam @27ft

We had no RX antennas at our disposal.