[3830] ARRL 160 W4MYA(@W4DR) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W4MYA(@W4DR) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 14:53:24 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4MYA
Operator(s): W4PM N3UA W4DR
Station: W4DR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Total:  QSOs = 1164  Sections = 77  Countries = 51  Total Score = 384,768

Club: Central Virginia Contest Club

Comments:

Due to W4DR's efforts getting the antenna repaired and operational 35 hours
before the start of the contest we were able to go on time! We didn't even test
it other than checking SWR in all 4 directions before the contest.  It appeared
to be a go so GO we did!

We operated a single FT-5000 and an amp to a single antenna - a full sized 4
square consisting of 4 phased 130' verticals with selectable NE, SE, SW, NW
directions.  No other antennas were available - no beverages, no low noise rx
antennas, no low dipoles!  A month or so before the contest a storm took down
one ot the 130' tower verticals but W4DR, with a bit of help from his friends,
got it fixed in the nick of time.

W4PM operated the first night and found the propagation to EU good.  Also had no
trouble working West coast and Caribean stations.  No Africa, VK, ZL, KH6, KL7,
JA or other Pacific stations were heard or worked.  He may have almost heard
KH6LC as a slight whisper but really unreadable.  A bit of QRN from time to time
but W4PM was so happy to use a real antenna on 160 he didn't much notice!

N3UA did an outstanding job the 2nd night adding to the mults and QSO counts in
the presence of QRN!

We used W4MYA Bob's call in his memory and honor.  I hope we did it justice. Bob
was a good friend for many years and a leader in many of the CVCC's local club
gavel wins the club over the years.  Many stations we worked expressed
appreciation that we were able to activate and put on the air Bob's call as our
new club call.  As the "Dude" would say, "run'em".

73,
Puck W4PM, Sejo N3UA, Bob W4DR