[3830] ARRL 160 K9YC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9YC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 22:06:52 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: California
Operating Time (hrs): 6:45

Total:  QSOs = 302  Sections = 73  Countries = 9  Total Score = 55,432

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Very poor conditions, and, as usual, east coast stations with directional RX
antennas didn't listen west until the band died to EU, reminding me why I
haven't taken ARRL 160 or CQ 160 seriously for nearly ten years.

This time around, I started QRP, hoping to finish 160 QRP WAS -- need VT and SC
- but conditions were so bad that I gave up and fired up the amp. Missed a lot
of sections -- never heard WCF, SFL, GA, PR, NNY. NL, NT,ND. WD0T was spotted
while I was running -- should have paused to call him, because he went QRT soon
after. This was a very part time effort, mostly to check out the 160M antennas.
They seem to work.

Overall, conditions were pretty stinko. In addition to heavy QRN in the east,
propagation was pretty poor to both east and west. Never heard EU, JA signals
were very weak.  PP5JR and an OA3 the only DX stations not buried in  noise.
Both called when I was running.