[3830] ARRL 160 W6JBR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6jbr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W6JBR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 23:45:58 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6JBR
Operator(s): W6JBR
Station: W6JBR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Oceanside, CA USA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.7

Total:  QSOs = 80  Sections = 31  Countries = 4  Total Score = 5,177

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was quite surprised at band conditions this time on 160. Having no real
antenna for this band, I literally at the last minute threw up a length of wire.
It went up, across, and down 3 push-up masts ranging from 24 to 28 feet high.
Total wire length approximately 85 feet long, simple coax feed. Signals were
booming in, with little to no band noise... a remarkable difference over past
160 outings. In the past, I had to turn off my AT&T Gateway due to RFI, but
now with Cox as my ISP, ZERO noise issues with their cable modem right in the
shack. Surprised at how quiet the band was in general, with strong signals being
clearly heard.

Starting barefoot, I was able to work anything above S8. Then, going QRO for the
first time on 160, I ran 450W max to be safe due to wire capacity. I was then
able to work stations down to S5.
Although there was some occasional QSB, I was surprised to hear so many stations
so clearly. Worked my first real DX, PJ2T, and some east coast for the first
time. So, I was very pleased.

I will use this wire again, but hope to be working on a better antenna for my
limited space and semi-stealth requirements, possibly a helical vertical, for
future 160 outings.

Thanks for the Qs. Hope to C U next time.

73,

JR

Rig- IC706MKII w/CW Filter.
Used my mobile HF rig, as my Kenwood is on the bench for repairs after it
went down in the last contest. Although definitely not a contesting rig, and
even with broadcast band leakage to 160, the old ICOM was still usable for
operating 160 CW.
Tuner- MB-V-A
Amp- ACOM 1000 @ 450W.
I did not have a chance to interface to the rig, so used a footswitch for keying
the amp, so not full QSK.
Ant- Inverted U ~85 feet long.
CPU- Dell WinXP 1.6GHz
Logger- N1MM+