[3830] ARRL 160 K9GY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9GY@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9GY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 18:16:04 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN61fn
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 147  Sections = 39  Countries = 0  Total Score = 11,466

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Initial plan was to work from home on Friday in order to put up an antenna
during lunch although that changed when I needed to go into the office...So
wasn't able to put up antenna until Saturday afternoon when the weather was
worse than Friday mid-day, argh! Sounds like I missed some good conditions the
first night too! Lot of mud in the farmer's field from rain on Saturday (versus
warmer temps and no rain on Friday)!

Put up a W8AMZ 160m shortened sloper at 44 feet on (metal) military surplus
masts with the slope facing south. First attempt had only one guy wire
attached...had to lower it to add another guy wire which significantly improved
stability. Took a little less than two hours from start to finish to get the
antenna up etc. Of course taking it down after the contest was much faster!

Considering the effort to put up the antenna I figured I better make at least
100 Qs! This was really a fun contest. Wished I could have stayed up past 06z to
work more west coast stations and increase my mult total. Such is the life of a
working person.

I used a 160m bandpass filter that seemed to make it really nice to operate on
160m! I wasn't affected as much by the storms in the area...although makes you
wonder when your phone says lightening stuck close to your area, hah!

IC-7300, 160m bandpass filter, Palstar AT2K

Had fun! Maybe the weather will cooperate before the Stew so that I can repeat
the portable antenna setup...?

Best of health to all,
Eric K9GY