[3830] ARRL 10 WQ6X(@W7AYT) SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ron@wq6x.info
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WQ6X(@W7AYT) SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 02:52:19 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WQ6X
Operator(s): WQ6X
Station: W7AYT

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Concord, Ca
Operating Time (hrs): 13:33

   CW:  63     17
  SSB:   3      1
-------------------
Total:  66     18  Total Score = 5,418

Club: Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

Comments:

This was another WQ6X portable operation from W7AYT in Concord, Ca.
The last two years of the 10-Meter contest from W7AYT's location have
been HORRIBLE condx-wise.

I ran the usual Yaesu FT-1000mp & RigExpert Plus to control the radio.
A pair of Autek QF-1A filters and a JPS NIR-12 (for the sub RX) processed
the audio into a pair of Sharper Image wireless headphones (as seen on TV
or available at OwnZone.Com).  For SSB, the Electro Voice 664 did a beautiful
job; so say the 3 stations who worked me on 28.399 Ssb.

The Hygain 3-element 10-meter Long John yagi 13mh worked fabulously.
Unfortunately,a low SFI (71 max) and A/K Indexes of 10/3 (respectively)
made this weekend a TOUGH SLOUGH.

Sunday morning while waiting for the band to open I added new 6-watt
termination resistors to the WQ6X Lazy 8JK Sloper giving it a lower angle
of radiation and more easily matching with the MFJ-949E Versa Tuner II.
While I didn't intend it for 10 meters it worked as an alternate for CQ calls.

We had a BRIEF opening to S.A. putting the only 3 DX contacts in the log.
While I saw spots for VE's, XE's and KH6, none made it to the log.  A
"ZL"
station was ALMOST heard, but no copy.  Because they send us a number (#),
it is imperative that I can at least get a 6+db S/N ratio on DX stations.

LooK for a writeup about this GiG soon at: WQ6X.Blogspot.Com