[3830] ARRL 10 W6QU(W8QZA) SO SSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W6QU(W8QZA) SO SSB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:46:13 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SO SSB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   CW:
  SSB:  77     21
-------------------
Total:  77     21  Total Score = 3,234

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antenna: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet

-------------------------------------

I probably spent about 10 hours or so in the chair for this contest. And 74 of
my 77 Qs were made in just 90 minutes late Saturday morning during one amazing
opening to most of the east coast and mid-west!

After working the first couple of stations, I realized that signals were so
strong that this was one of those rare times where I could actually CQ with my 5
watts, ...and CQ I did!  I had a run of 65, totally unheard of from my station!

The rest of the contest was listening to noise. I eventually worked a couple of
local stations to give me my CA mult. I did hear a few South Americans, but they
were too weak to work except for FY5KE who I got surprisingly easily. There are
a few stations that always seem to hear my 5 watts, and he is one of them.

This is almost always a fun contest. The one exception is last year when I made
only 4 Qs. Of course, if I hadn't been on during that 90 minute opening, I would
have only had 3 Qs this year! ...Wow, this cycle is brutal!

See you in the ARRL DX!   Bill W6QU - W8QZA