[3830] RTTY Roundup KJ5T SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KJ5T SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 04:10:21 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   80:
   40:    50
   20:    50
   15:
   10:
-----------------------
Total:   100       0  State/Prov = 32  Countries = 6  Total Score = 3,800

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Very last minute decision to play in this contest.  My friend who let me put up
my 4BTV in his backyard last year was going out of town and told me I was
welcome to use his place this weekend, Saturday morning I threw up the 4BTV.
Really easy antenna to get up since it was already partially assembled.  Only
issue I had was that one of the elements for the 40 meter top-hat bent in
storage and when I tried to bend it back into place it broke so something that
will need to get fixed.

I had the antenna set up by 1730z but I had not previously used my new
MicroKeyer III that I picked up and I didn't have a power supply for it over at
my friend's place so I had to drive the 40 minutes round trip back to my place
for a power supply, after getting back to the station and getting the MicroKeyer
set up it wasn't until 1900z when I was on. but it wasn't until 2151z that I had
a successful contact.  I was really trying hard to get true FSK to work but no
one was decoding me so something wasn't right, spent several hours reading
manuals and such but decided to switch to AFSK and things worked well after
that.

I had to shut down early Saturday to help my wife give our sick cat his
medicine, so opted to reach 100 contacts and then shutdown.  All S&P, worked
most of what the 4BTV could hear minus a couple of folks who couldn't decode me.

No operating Sunday, helped N5XJ and NX5M get up a 2 element 40 at the NX5M
station, if you worked NX5M today on 40 it was from the new beam and I was the
operator, we just messed around for a couple of hours testing the antenna and
hanging out in the shack with the farm cats.