[3830] RTTY Roundup WQ6X(@NX6T) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ron@wq6x.info
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup WQ6X(@NX6T) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:40:58 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: WQ6X
Operator(s): WQ6X
Station: NX6T

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Fallbrook
Operating Time (hrs): 15:55
Remote Operation

   80:   111       0
   40:   278       0
   20:   187       0
   15:    85       0
   10:     5       0
-----------------------
Total:   666       0  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 16  Total Score = 45,288

Club: San Diego Contest Club

Comments:

This weekend was ad-Hoc all around.
I originally planned to run my FT-1000mp @100 watts RTTY (the 1000mp LOAFS along
at 100 watts) from W7AYT's QTH into the latest incarnation of the WQ6X Lazy 8jK
sloper.  Unfortunately, CAT cable failures meant that while I could easily
send/receive RTTY, I would not be able to CAT-control the radio.

Fortunately, I brought my secret "black bag" containing an Elecraft
K3/0 and all of its attendant GooDies allowing the operation of STN-1 @NX6T in
Fallbrook.
The onsite K3 fed a classic Acom 2000 amplifier to produce 550 - 950 watts
(depending on the band, my mood and temperature/heat situation in the Fallbrook
ham shack).
All the equipment problems kept me off the air for the 1st 5 hours.  At 23:00z
the K3/0 went to work putting 41 QSOs in the log.  Shifting to 40 and then 80
and back to 40 produced some very nice frequency runs.  Only MS & ND kept
WQ6X from WAS.  Where were the more eastern Canadians (VE4, VE1, VE8, VY &
VO)?

Running a Stepp-IR & 2-element shorty-40 made it easy to work stations off
the backside (or BI-directional); which is how all the KH6 and ZL stations made
it into the log. A pair of 10-meter openings on Sunday put CX7 & YV1 into
the log.  10 often sounds dead because everyone is listening and no one is
calling CQ.

The biggest confusion was the callsign prefixes not matching their area (Ex: NY6
in NY, NZ8 in TX, W8 in SC, etc.)  In many cases, stations SHOULD have signed
/portable when they were in "rare" states (like NV, WY and DE) so they
stand out more, encouraging more calling stations.

A BEEF I have with most RTTY contests are the IDIOTs who use the 14.100 NCDXF
Beacon frequency as their personal run frequency.  We already have ENOUGH
difficulty copying the beacons without IDIOT-LID RTTY OPs adding to the
reception problem.

Did YOU work the ARRL RTTY RU?  Is WQ6X in YOUR LoG?
Look for a contest BLOG writeup on this GiG at: WQ6X.Blogspot.com