[3830] RTTY Roundup W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 15:41:11 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   80:    338
   40:    646
   20:    632
   15:    132
   10:      0
-----------------------
Total:   1748      0  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 55  Total Score = 194,028

Club:

Comments:

This is the third time that I have participated in the ARRL RTTY Roundup
contest. It has been a year since I made even a single radio teletype QSO so I
had to spend a few hours reconfiguring my station and familiarizing myself with
the software and hardware. I have never used FT8 which has become a very popular
weak signal digital mode. When FT8 was added to this contest I had concerns that
RU would no longer be a RTTY contest but that certainly was not the case this
year. I hope that the FT8 mode will become a separate event. The first half of
the contest was really fast moving, after 12 hours of running two transceivers I
had 1100 QSOs in my log. During the second half my run rates slowed
significantly and I even had to search and pounce at times. 80% of my QSOs were
with the U.S. and Canada, unfortunately participation outside this area was low
making finding new country multipliers a challenge. 20m and 40m had excellent
domestic openings and also good but short openings to Europe. 15m had good
openings to the western U.S. but I quickly ran out of stations. I worked a
little DX on 15m, surprisingly four loud New Zealand stations called me but I
heard no one in the Caribbean or Europe. My station worked perfectly and despite
poor propagation this was a fun contest.  Thank you for the QSOs, please QSL via
WD9DZV.

73,

John KK9A - W4AAA
http://www.w4aaa.com