[3830] NAQP CW NW6P M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NW6P M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 06:50:28 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): K7GK W9KKN K6DAJ WX5S N6DE
Station: NW6P

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Cupertino, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   23     6
   80:  184    53
   40:  460    55
   20:  658    62
   15:  248    36
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total: 1575   213  Total Score = 335,475

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

As always, special thanks to Tom (NW6P) for the hospitality and use of his
station!

This was our first experiment of a Multi/2 at NW6P with two active run stations.
We kept the radios where they physically were (Tom’s K3 and my Flex-6600) but
connected to the Flex from another room (Tom’s new renovation) over WiFi with
a Maestro… technology is great!

We also had some stellar operators, in particular, K7GK (Denis), and K6DAJ
(David), but also N6DE (Dean), W9KKN (Bill), and WX5S (Matt) filling in.

In the first hour, K7GK and K6DAJ set the tone by hitting 330 Q’s on 20/15m.
Unfortunately, 10m was a flop and 15m died quickly, giving out around 21Z. Both
20m and 40m were very productive, but the interaction between 40m and 80m (which
is just a dipole) was tough.

David also brought a 160m vertical (an MA160V) along that N6DE/W9KKN assembled
and put it up.

What worked? Logging, radios, antenna switching did fine, but we had a few
interference issues between the harmonically-related bands – which means I
(W9KKN) still have a bit of work to do in that arena. As long as we stayed on
opposite sides of the band segment, we were almost ok, but the phase noise is
the bigger issue. My antenna issues from RTTY RU last week, luckily, did not
resurface.

What didn’t work? The vertical didn’t go so well. Based on what we saw, we
suspect it was coupling to a TV antenna on Tom’s roof that was a bit too close
to where we located the antenna; it was resonant around 400 kHz lower than it
should have been.

We all had a great time hanging out with Tom while not operating.

Thanks for all the Q’s everyone! We’ll see you in the next contest!

73, Bill/W9KKN (and the NW6P team)