[3830] ARRL Jan VHF AC0RA/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wyattdirks@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF AC0RA/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 00:16:26 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  280   118  Total Score = 40,002

Club:

Comments:

Limited effort to put the 4 local grids on the air to at least make some qsos.

Rover consisted of the following-
6m 3 element at 25ft KW
2m 7 element at 22ft 200w
222 10 element 20ft 100w
432 15 element 20ft 100w

Only reason for submitting rover class vs limited rover is running high power on
6m otherwise same gear I've used in past for limited rover.

Most of my effort was focused on 6m and giving the 4 grids to the others in
range that were looking for me. I didn't do a ton of cqing on 2m though I always
had 2m radio on listening for new stations which I heard very few.

6m I watched ft8 and msk144 pretty evenly throughout and msk144 was by far more
productive for anything outside the 300 mile or so tropo range. Seems like many
people were trying to brute force ft8 qsos that could have been worked very
easily on msk144. I also watched the rest of the band on the band scope and very
rarely seen much ssb except for other big contesters in the area but nothing
random to speak of. I did see a signal Sunday pop up on ssb and as fast as I
could tune there I heard N2NT cqing and when I called I got a qrz as they
disappeared. I missed quite a few mults on 6m as well by running some 2m skeds
and only being able to aim all antennas at once. Running kw on 6m I'd also like
to think most stations I could hear would hear me but this also doesn't seem to
be the case. Some stations in the + db range on ft8 couldn't hear me, they must
really have some terrible noise. FT8 is a great mode but MSK144 is also and
knowing when to use the right mode is a key for success.

Thanks for all the qsos in the aftermath of the first major snow storm of the
year here! Maybe next year I'll be able to put in a full time effort for this
contest. Hope to see you in the sprint sprints.

73 Wyatt
AC0RA