[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K9FA(@K5NA) SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K9FA(@K5NA) SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:38:52 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  186    92  Total Score = 18,768

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Susan, K5DU and Richard, K5NA I was once again able to operate from
their station during the January VHF contest.  This time I was able to beat my
last time score over 3 fold.

      Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd
          50  FT8    109     109   60
          50  MSK1    10      10    9
          50  USB     19      19    7
         144  CW       2       2    1
         144  FM       1       1    0
         144  USB     27      27    8
         420  USB     18      36    7
       Total  Both   186     204   92

Unlike last year's contest, we had a small, if weak, opening west and to
southern California early in the contest.  A spotty opening was present to EN,
but insufficient for a QSO.  The day ended with about 5k points.

Sunday started with an early opening to the E having worked EL stations and to
the NW with EN appearing in the log.  The E-W opening widened into more to the S
and TG, XE, CM KP4 stations were added to the log.  The highlight was that
pointing directly East and calling CQ on 6m, XE3MC in EK37 (due S) called me.

The lack of CW and low number USB 6m QSOs was as disturbing as it was last year;
it appeared that some operators were forcing a FT8 QSOs when USB would have
worked just fine. Experimenting with MS was a lesson and a bonus since 90% of
the MS QSOs resulted in a new grid.  The WSJT software improvement made FT8
operation much more intuitive and limited dupes.