[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N7GP/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa8wzg@wa8wzg.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N7GP/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 16:14:28 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  497    47  Total Score = 43,945

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

WOW,, What a tremendous turn out in the valley and surrounding areas by the
OUTLAWS, the ROVERS and the SOTA "goats!!!!!!
I Had been VHF contesting in the Mid West for many years, before moving to AZ.
and this contest rivaled the activity level of contests back east.!!!
Special Thanks to Duffy KK6MC/R who drove many miles and activated a lot of
grids with LOTS of bands,, Also Dave KC7FF/R who did a bang up job for his first
time out with more bands. Hats of to Jay N1RWY , who had been working countless
hours upgrading his station since September VHF contest,, more bands more power
and taller antennas,,,IT paid off!! and DAVE N7RK who stayed up late Sunday
night to track me down in DM 44 at end of the contest,, Also, Gary N7IR, who
beat the drum on the  AOCC reflector to get the OUTLAWS to get on and make some
noise, plus provided valuable information on digital contesting, vhf operating
techniques,  and the schedules for the SOTA guys.. Speaking of the SOTA.
"goats" , and VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU to Pete,, WA7JTM, a good seasoned
VHF op, who once again organized and coordinated the SOTA op's and got on early
and stayed on the mountain late with LOTS of bands and gear to give out points
on the upper bands where points are worth more. It was amazing his rock crushing
signal on 1.2 GHz FM with 1 watt and a hand held radio, anywhere in the
valley!!!
As for my reflections of this contest,, I gonna some it up by saying, I have
never called CQ on 222 Mhz and had a pile up of callers and the same scenario
for 1.2 GHz. THANKS AGAIN to the SOTA guys!
Biggest Thrill for me was when I got to DM33 early Sunday afternoon,I called CQ,
and had a 30 minute pile up/run on 6, 2 and 432 Mhz.!!! Now I know how Gary,
Ned,  Fred , Mike and the other Outlaws who go to operate in exotic places, feel
being in a pile up...It WAS a TRILL...
Also I added another band 903 Mhz, and was surprised by the FM activity in the
valley, also I added more power on 1.2 GHz, which made a big difference on that
band.
Finally,, AGAIN , A ROWDY thank you all the SOTA op's, ROVER's and OUTLAWS who
got on the air and MADE a HELL of a LOT of NOISE!!!!
Tom
N7GP/R
ex WA8WZG