[3830] CQ160 CW WB8WKQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WB8WKQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:49:36 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 873  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 18  Total Score = 156,525

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Well, finally broke down and decided, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  This was
the first contest I ever ran computer controlled.  Okay, so I've been behind the
times for quite a while.  I had no idea what I've been missing!!  On Friday,
about 3 hours before the contest, I received in the mail, the Winkey I had
ordered.  I spent about two hours plus trying to set it up.  One text to my
buddy K8BKM about my troubles and his reply was "Dummy, don't plug it in
the CW port, plug it in the PTT port". And walla!  It all came together,
just minutes before the contest started.  Well, I was just going to play and
check out the setup.  But, once I got started, it was like a kid with a brand
new toy.  I couldn't put it down.  Now far be me to be an expert in one contest
with N1MM, but I guess now I see how some of you guys get such outrageously high
scores.  See, I've gone from pencil and paper, to GenLog, and I thought I was
taking a step.  Now, to go to computer controlled CW, well, it's just a whole
new "ballgame".  Wow, is all I can say.  To be honest, sending CW from
a keyboard, to an old CW traffic man like myself, seems a bit sacrilegious, but
it sure is way more time effective and error free.  I guess welcome to the
1990s, right?  Anyway, I had a ball with my new toy, and know it helped my score
tremendously.  I ran low power, cause I just can't see putting that much strain
on my old amps, hence I wasn't able to work as much DX as I heard.  But got a
lot of the Caribbean that was on, an HK down in SA and quite a few EUs.  Even
had EI0R call me during one of my runs, which was a huge thrill.  Friday night
was action packed.  Saturday was much slower.  Sunday was hunt and peck for any
new call sign.  I think this contest is super fun, but maybe just a bit too long
for me.  Maybe just one night, or 24 hour period.  But who's going to listen to
some guy who just learned to use a computer for contesting?  Right?  Very fun,
and will be glad to get back on a normal sleep schedule.  Thanks to all for a
great contest and all the Q's.