[3830] CQ160 CW W6JBR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6jbr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W6JBR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 02:53:16 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W6JBR
Operator(s): W6JBR
Station: W6JBR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Oceanside, CA USA
Operating Time (hrs): 5:27

Total:  QSOs = 74  State/Prov = 20  Countries = 2  Total Score = 3,894

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had just installed a new end fed wire, fed via 9:1 QRO unun. The SWR was very
high, and I was unable to tune it. I then bypassed the unun and fed it directly
from the coax, which tuned FB. I started to test the wire with a 500 watt
carrier, when my cable modem appeared to start overheating/burning!

Has anyone else had such an issue?!

Needless to say, I shut everything in the shack down, and gave up on using the
end fed wire. I went to my 31’ wire vertical, which did not tune on 160m, but
added a large roller inductor at the base, set to max inductance.
The antenna immediately tuned FB. Since I used a set of clip leads to insert the
coil between the unun and the antenna, I went without the amp, and just ran the
rig barefoot at 200W.  Thankfully, there were no issues with the modem burning
up.

I had a relatively low noise floor on the band, and could hear many stations but
not all of them could hear me. I was excited to work Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, and
KP4, and heard other Caribbean stations that could not hear me.

I do hope to have a better 160m antenna, but space here is limited.
I am thinking of trying a 30 foot helical vertical next.

Thanks for the Qs. Hope to see you next time.

73, JR

FT-1000MP MK V @ 200W
MB-V-A Tuner
31 foot wire vertical