[3830] CQ160 CW W4AX(W5JR) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jr.lists@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W4AX(W5JR) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 03:43:33 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W4AX
Operator(s): W5JR
Station: W4AX

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 601  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 43  Total Score = 176,928

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

W4AX (W5JR Op)
Flex 6600 & PGXL, Inv-L TX/RX
Flex 6600/Maestro, Inv-L RX at W5JR

Wow, very low QRN both nights. Didn't hear much DX the first night, but they
were everywhere Saturday night, although mostly hidden under stronger stations.
I'm pretty sure I was being heard in EU the first night...just clobbered by
unusually stout stateside stations on my receive end.

Thanks to Mack for allowing me to utilize his very nice station (from the
comfort of my own domicile) for this contest. It incorporates a lot of remote
capabilities, from 160 through 1296. I know many were "disappointed"
that you worked me instead of Mack. hi hi.

I chose to avail myself of the rule allowing SOHP Assisted to use offsite
receiving equipment. Turns out my own Inv'L had noticeably lower band noise, so
it became the RX antenna of choice. S&P with two VFO knobs is very
interesting, kind of like the "old days" and not indicative of the
state of the art SDR radios I was using. This meant running was going to be my
favorite mode. All of the DX either called me, or I sought them out on the
waterfall under the big signals. No spotting or skimmers. Thank goodness for 100
and 50 Hz *usable* filtering!!!

See everyone in a few weeks. Maybe I'll be operating another Flex station by
remote control.