[3830] CQ160 CW W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 05:12:16 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 847  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 30  Total Score = 188,877

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

This is the second time that W0AIH has been on the air since Paul became SK.
Thanks for the many RIP messages, etc in our contest exchanges.

I had planned on a full time operation.  But could not get out of work on time
to do that on Friday.  I arrived at the farm about 0100Z. I still had to get
some heat going in there.  It was -6 degrees at that time and had been cold for
a few days. I got the heat going and went to the house to warm up and wait for
some heat in the chalet (shack building). So about 0400Z I went up to see if i
can get things set up.

I was looking forward to using my Flex 6600M again there.  I used it for ARRL
160 and it was great to use on a crowded band and the RX can't be beat.  Well, I
had trouble getting the Flex to talk to my laptop for logging.  I worked on that
until 0730Z and thought I'd get some sleep and try in the AM.  I spent all day
working on that only to find thru using Wireshark that the issue seems to be the
PC not seeing a broadcast packet from the rig.  Maybe a MS update issue?  Well,
then had to put the FT-1000D back and get ready to get on the air.  Got it all
set only to find no RX audio!  Swapped that one out for one at the 10 meter
position and that one had no TX on the CW keying circuit!  Swapped that out from
the 15 meter position and got that rolling.  Finally at about 2330Z I was on the
air! Good thing this is a Multi-Multi station and I had all of those rigs
available. The thinking is that the cold may have caused these rig issues (the
FT-1000D issues).  Hopefully they are fine once warmed up. I sure missed the
Flex.  When I heard all the noise on the band, I had forgotten how nice the RX
is on the Flex.

Well, the contest...  In 13 hours I was able to rack up over 800 Q's and 30 DX.

I had some great rates for quite a while being fresh meat the second night.
Working EU DX was tough until their sunrise.  At least on the 2nd night.

DX worked:

C6, CN, CT3, D4, DL, EA, EA8, F, FM, G, GI, GM, HB, HK, JA, KH5, KH6, KP2, KP4,
LX, OK, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PY, SP, V3, XE

Missed: NF, PE, MB, NU, NWT, YT

It was great fun. At least there were no lightning storms like there were for
ARRL 160.

Please consider donating to the W0AIH Memorial Scholarship Fund.  Right now it
is funded to $19,000.  The goal is $25,000 so that it is able to be perpetually
funded to give a grant each year.  Any amount is greatly appreciated.

Here is the GoFundMe link for the fund:

https://www.gofundme.com/w0aih-memorial-scholarship-fund

73, John  K0TG