[3830] ARRLDX CW VE6WZ SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve6wz@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE6WZ SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 16:22:01 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE6WZ
Operator(s): VE6WZ
Station: VE6WZ

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Sundre, AB
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  98     49  Total Score = 14,112

Club:

Comments:

Flex 6600, ACOM 2000a, 2 el TX array, Beverages and 9 circle rx.

112 QSOs (16 usa zero point callers)
49 DXCC
32 EU/AF QSOs
28 Asia
52 NA and OC

My first ever ARRL contest entry.
I needed to get used to unassisted since I usually use the cluster for CQWW on
single band assisted.  Using the Flex was great...I could just watch the
waterfall for new ones, look for the pile ups, and switching the RX arrays see
which traces were DX.

I was out Friday night so missed the start, but got on at 0400z. Was at first
thinking it would be good with a few strong UA and northern EU, but after an
hour or so it fizzled out and transpolar signals got much weaker with only about
15 EU/AF and numerous NA/SA making it into the log till I went to bed at around
7:30z.
The morning session was mediocre...the band was in good shape but little
activity. 23 JA, and a few other Asia together with the V84 guys. Little OC
activity and no VK or ZL QSOs!

Saturday night I was hopeful for early EU condx but it didn't happen.  The EU
path was painful all night! Many EU were heard, but only for maybe 15-20 seconds
before the QSB took then away to oblivion.  The QSB would bring them back, but
very rarely long enough to complete a QSO.  I could watch on the waterfall as an
EU signal would come up from nothing...peak for about 20 seconds, and then
disappear into nothing.  If the calls and exchanges weren't completed within 20
seconds, there was no hope for repeats until the next QSB cycle came back.  I
tried calling CQ and had numerous callers, but they would peak enough to get the
prefix, or maybe the whole call, but then they were gone when trying to get an
exchange.  Perhaps the fastest QSB I have ever seen on TB.
Sunday morning session was very slow, even though the band was wide open. Some
very strong JA and HL, but I had already worked most of them.  Very little
activity from JA at my morning. Perhaps I should have been QRV earlier.

All-in all condx were not very good compared to some other nights this season,
but at least we had some DX openings.

Thanks to all who called me and heard me.

steve ve6wz