[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 00:32:34 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 15.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  834    98  Total Score = 245,196

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

My plan was a low intensity SOAB effort because of a cold, since I knew I
couldn't operate full time. Then matters got worse. During my very first QSO
attempt on 40m my yagi decided to quit. A worrying but seemingly minor
intermittent had developed only a couple of hours before the contest and it
obviously worsened. Without 40m and with a nagging headache from the cold I gave
it up and shut down the station.

After thinking about it some more I decided to try again, this time with a
single band effort. Conditions seemed okay so I went for 20m, starting Saturday
morning. It was a good choice. With limited operating time I managed to rack up
some points. An unrelated intermittent in my high tri-bander behaved all
weekend, so at least I had that on my side.

When I checked after the contest the 40m yagi was once again online. I guess
that's what intermittent buys you. The yagis will have to come down this year
anyway to make way for other antennas, which is when I'll repair them. But I may
experience difficulties during the remaining winter/spring contests.