[3830] ARRLDX CW WA7AN(K9DR) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9DR@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WA7AN(K9DR) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 02:01:37 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WA7AN
Operator(s): K9DR
Station: WA7AN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Mesa, AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:   28    22
   80:   37    26
   40:  181    68
   20:  499    92
   15:   61    34
   10:    8     6
-------------------
Total:  814   248  Total Score = 605,616

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Well, no Worked All Fred award this year, thanks to 10 meters, or lack thereof.
Missed some time on 80 and 160 meters Friday night due to unstable and high VSWR
situation with the "Tee" antenna. At first, I thought it was a problem
with the antenna tuner. Was about to dismantle it, but decided to wait until
morning.  Glad I waited.  Turned out that one of the insulators at the dipole
ends actually caught fire!  The insulator was made years ago from an 8"
piece of 1/2" PVC pipe with holes drilled in it for the antenna and support
wires. Worked fine until some bug built a nest in it, got damp in the recent
rain and an arc started to the support wire creating a nice carbon path. It
didn't fall to the ground, but almost did. The blackened, melted mess was easy
to see, once the sun came up.  Took about 10 minutes to replace, but missed
several valuable hours on those bands.  Had a couple of great runs on Saturday,
but still did too much S&P during the rest of the contest.  Given the lack
of sunspots, it was still a pretty good contest, thanks to 20 and 40 meters.