[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:17:17 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  626    94
   10:
-------------------
Total:  626    94  Total Score = 176,532

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Due to limited night time availability I thought another run at SOHP 15 might be
fun. I did this in CQWW so why not.

Not wanting to miss an early Saturday morning band opening I was in the chair
and ready to go at 1100 UTC. Too bad the band didn’t open to EU until 1225.
EU started slow and then really picked up with some pretty good rates. Nothing
like CQWW but still not bad. Then all of a sudden at 1500 UTC EU went away.
Yes, there were a couple replies to my CQ but no rate. Fortunately, I decided to
run SO2V and started to scan on both VFOs using phased beams with one pointed to
EU and the other at SA. Skip was still too long for most of the Caribbean but SA
was there, so I picked up a few more Qs and mults. The next 6 hours I was mostly
SP and finally quit around 2200. New definition of S L O W!

Sunday, I got on around 1200 and the band was just opening to EU. The runs were
better than Saturday and the band even stayed open longer. But, unfortunately,
only 20 minutes longer. Then pretty much the same as Saturday with beams, CQ, SP
on one or both VFOs.

Saturday and Sunday afternoons I split the beams with one toward VK/ZL and the
other to JA.  Got a few ZL Qs in the log but never and VK, JA or any other OC
except for Hawaii.

Couple general comments –

1. Why are there so many signals with BAD key clicks?  Don’t people care about
having an offensive signal. One EU station setup camp on 21.022.97 and at that
time I was on 21.022.66. That would typically be plenty of separation, but his
clicks were over 3khz wide.
2. I think the quantity of dupes were at an all time high. One station even
called me 4 times. I worked everyone that called me but WOW!

Thanks for the Qs and fun time on 15 meters. Looking forward to the return of
sunspots.

73,
Bruce N1LN