[3830] ARRLDX CW N5DX(@N2QV) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5DX(@N2QV) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:39:37 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N2QV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  224    73
   80:  773    90
   40: 1473   112
   20: 1779   106
   15:  564    90
   10:    6     2
-------------------
Total: 4869   473  Total Score = 6,909,111

Club:

Comments:

A very enjoyable weekend.  Conditions were incredibly quiet and stable
throughout the contest.  The station performed flawlessly and the operator
pushed buttons all weekend.

Highlights and Random Thoughts from the Contest:

* Having FR5 call on 160 was special.  He had a great signal!
* Missed CX and LU on 10 even though they had decent signals.
* I wonder how others handle frequency fights?  I fought and lost the band edge
on 20 in the middle of an EU run on Sunday.  I fought and won another on 40.  In
hindsight, both battles ended up taking at least 10 minutes of valuable run time
and retreating may have been the better option.
* The RBN has significantly improved the overall experience of CW contesting.
It's great to put out a single CQ and have callers almost immediately answer.

* A hearty thank you to everyone that agreed to QSY to other bands.  I can't
remember all of them, but HQ9X, HH2AA, and VP9/W6PH come to mind for multiple
band moves.  Moving mults is still one of the most exciting experiences from a
contest.
* ZF1A and PJ4A seemed particularly active on their in band radios.  It always
makes me sit up straight when ZF1A calls in over an EU run at 40 WPM.
* I wish contesting could go to real time log uploading and cross checking of
contacts.  An operation goal of mine is to have a perfect LCR (no where close to
it BTW).  It's a major let down to have to wait more than a month to get the LCR
results.
* A massive thanks to everyone at N1MM logger for providing an incredible
product, for FREE, with outstanding support.
* I've been told by an OT that conditions repeat every 11 years.  In 2008 I was
part of a serious multi multi operation that was comprised of 10 dedicated
operators at a station in Arkansas that featured serious antennas on every band.
 We managed 3600 contacts and 5.3 million points on that weekend in February 11
years ago.
* Mult hunting is significantly easier the second day.  Staying awake and active
is not.
* I took .5 hour nap Saturday morning before 20 opened.  I probably should have
stayed on and kept at it but I was feeling very tired and wanted to stay fresh
throughout the Saturday high band runs.
* It's tough to balance high rates with good mult counts.  Finding
Asia and Oceania mults really help to improve the country count.  It's also very
easy to bypass these multiplier rich areas when operating from zone 5.
* Imodium is the 48 hour operator's best friend.
* Duel CQing has significantly altered contest operating strategy.  Finding the
correct mix of traditional single radio run, SO2R and duel CQ is something that
I'm still honing.
* Sunday conditions on 15 meters were better than Saturday, but the band closed
hard to EU after only a couple of hours.  It was great while it lasted though.
* My wife is incredibly supportive of my interest in this sport and didn't mind
at all that I left on the eve of Valentine's day.

The real highlight from this weekend was getting to hang out with N2QV and WU2X
before and after the contest.  I've missed that shared experience that comes
from multi operator environments and it was nice to have a post contest rundown
in person with these two guys.

73,
Kevin, N5DX