[3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:41:47 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 14:22

  160:
   80:   43    30
   40:  129    61
   20:   99    62
   15:   57    38
   10:
-------------------
Total:  328   191  Total Score = 187,944

Club:

Comments:

Solar stats Sunday 2019-02-17 1744z  (12:44 pm local):
SSN  =  0
eSSN =  9
SFI  = 71
Kp   =  0
Smoothed February 2019 sunspot number (for VOACAP) = 8

I thought conditions were pretty good, considering the above.  Low noise.

I did an enjoyable, laid back, old style operation from the days when I worked
contests just for new stuff.  Got one shiny new 80m one, FY5KE, but nothing
else.  There's not much new left to be worked in contests for me.  Most of my
recent new 80m countries have been worked on FT8.

There were some good 15m morning openings to EU and I even did okay on 80m in
the evening.  I only called strong EU stations on 80m.  Not sure where they were
transmitting from in some cases. How do you spell "rhemoat"?

Along that same line, I'm always amused at how many of the big Italian stations
at 500w sound just as loud as other EU powerhouses, but the UK stations at 400w
usually sound weaker.  Must be the latitudinal difference.

I didn't hear anything workable on 10m, but there were some whisper signals
there.  I wish I'd worked at least one, just for completeness.

I also wish I had room for putting up some kind of stealth 160m transmitting
antenna. I have a Pixel loop hanging in the spare bedroom that works pretty well
as a receiving antenna.  I need something for transmitting, even if it is
inefficient.  It wouldn't be good for DX but I might have some fun in 160m
contests with a lot of NA content. In any case, I did some 160m SWLing on the
loop.  Lots of activity.

Thanks for the Qs.  I'll see some of you in the NAQP-RTTY this coming weekend.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
20m & 15m attic dipoles
80m & 40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor
counterpoise
Indoor Pixel loop for 160m SWLing
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog