[3830] ARRLDX CW W9KKN(@NW6P) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W9KKN(@NW6P) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 17:24:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W9KKN
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Cupertino, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Remote Operation

  160:    0     0
   80:   62    33
   40:  301    87
   20:  527    98
   15:   55    33
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  945   251  Total Score = 711,585

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

** I've had this one sitting in the outbox for a few days -- sorry for the delay
all - Work got in the way this week. **

Another weekend long morse runner practice session in super-realism mode; even
the lights on the amplifier were flashing! :) I did part of this one at NW6P and
other parts remotely -- which mostly worked except for a few of the usual Flex
idiosyncrasies...

I didn't expect a big score because, well... my CW which can only improve so
quickly. Big congrats to the team at Radio Oakley and a few others like K6XX,
W6YX/N7MH, K9YC for turning out some big scores. It's clear though that while
NW6P is a magic station and has been a fantastic opportunity for me, this is a
contest of who has the most towers with the most elements pointed simultaneously
in the most directions at the same time, and lives on the east coast. I might
have been able to break a megapoint with a few more hours of being awake.

I was a bit exhausted coming into this one, something about driving to Petaluma
in the middle of the week did it, but also, the usual excuse of work getting in
the way of contesting, not enough sleep, WPX RTTY the weekend before, etc. etc.

...but, excuses are, as they say, excuses. This was my first attempt at ARRL DX
CW, and I wanted to get to know this contest a bit from the west coast. So this
effort ended up being somewhat 'casual' 28 or so hours.

Friday night was surprisingly active on the low bands; 40 and 80 were fairly
open anyway (we don't have 160 at NW6P) and I was able to get into Europe /
Africa at least a few times on the 80m dipole, which is not normally the case.
The 40m EU opening seemed to be a bit better than I usually see, lasting longer
than normal, showing up in time for 20m JA to die early.

Sunday morning seemed to bring a lot of rain static on 40/80 (the Flex WNB
really helped when I remember to turn it on) and the rest of the day on the
higher bands was *slow* and there were huge pileups on some of the lesser mults
(PY, really?)

I kept an eye on 10m, but didn't make any Q's there.

Thanks for the Q's and see you in the next one!

--Bill/W9KKN