[3830] NAQP RTTY W4PK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4PK@w4pk.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W4PK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:03:15 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:56
Radios: SO2R

   80:  162    34
   40:  185    38
   20:  135    27
   15:   64    11
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  546   110  Total Score = 60,060

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC CVA

Comments:

I had a hard disk crash back at the begging of this month, and it has taken me 3
weeks of data recovery, reinstalling programs, sound cards, drivers, etc. to get
most everything back to working again.  The biggest problem I had was with N1MM+
as it said my database was corrupt.  After reading through the help files I was
able to repair it with a program called SQLite Expert Professional.  I finally
finished repairing it this last Friday evening.

I use SO2R where I right-clicked in the DI windows to select which radio to
enable for transmitting messages.  Left-clicking on call signs, names and
sections allowed me to keep both radios going sequentially, and on a couple of
occasions I even used call stacking.

However, every hour of two the N1MM+ screen would go dim and I would get a
message that basically said that the "Windows operating system has
encountered a problem and that it needs to close".  Fortunately the log was
not affected but it did take me a few minutes to get it up and running again. I
had intended to operate for the 10 hours allocated but the last time it happened
I just called it quits.  I was monitoring CPU usage and I did note that normally
it was in the 15-30% range but it would peak up to 100% when this happened.
However, several other times it would peak up but N1MM+ kept on working.  For
those of you I had left hanging I do deeply apologize!

Early in the contest when I noted that propagation on 15M to the West was decent
I did try calling CQ on 10M, but nothing.  15M went dead soon after.

In summary, I am very grateful that I was able to recover my computer.  It is an
old Dell 755 OptiPlex 32-bit machine running W7 and it is equipped with a real
4-port RS232 card that works great for RTTY!  It just has to hang on for a few
more years as I go through the process of down-sizing, selling our farm and
moving into town.

73, Sam W4PK