[3830] CQ160 SSB WN8HCV(W8GP) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB WN8HCV(W8GP) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:42:41 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: WN8HCV
Operator(s): W8GP
Station: WN8HCV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 608  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 18  Total Score = 112,785

Club:

Comments:

I operated QRP as W8GP the first night but that was an exercise in futility so I
switched to high power the second night using my club call. I started at 2340
and thought I would CQ for a few hours and then S&P. 9 hours later I finally
took my first break after European sunrise! I tuned around for a half hour or so
and picked up a few mults and then took a quick nap. Got back on at about 1000Z
and caught a few more mults. I heard a W6 working a ZL but couldn't copy, and no
JA's either. The band was terrible noisy to the west early on but that suddenly
subsided about 0700Z and I was able to pick up quite a few 6s and 7s.
Fortunately my NE beverage was quiet which helped with the Europeans. In
hindsight, I should have skipped the QRP the first night and I would have had a
pretty competetive score. I normally operate QRP for the CW contest and do
pretty well, but SSB is a different ball game. Oh well, I still had fun both
nights and there's always next year. 73 to all, Greg W8GP/WN8HCV

Equipment used:
FTDX-5000
HB 3-1000Z @ 1100 w
55' T loaded vertical