[3830] SCQP N4CW SO MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4cw@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SCQP N4CW SO MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:42:08 +0000
                    South Carolina QSO Party - 2019

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: SO MobileMixed LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:  204      0      0
   40:  582    103      0
   20:   38      0      0
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  824    103      0  Mults = 70  Total Score = 244,020

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

[Long-winded!!!]
Quite a workout in the rain! Jim, W4TMO drove (navigated and  planned route
strategy). This is our first mobile attempt at working on county lines...why
didn't we think of this before? N1MM+ Logger made it real easy. The biggest
difficulty was finding a safe-enough place to pull over and operate.
We were going to stop for dinner in Abbeville but were too early for it
to be open, so we just pressed on!
Conditions were pretty rough, between propagation, car in motion (did I mention
that when you go over a bump or pothole in the road that my right index finger,
right over the letter "J" tends to create a lot of J's in the
logger entry field? Also, if I'm entering a call it's never right
-- thanks for being patient while I made corrections!).
Definitely, mobile operation in a small SUV is a challenge.
Statistics (approximate): we made QSO's from 18 different
counties and the most Q's were in KERS and CLRN. We made a few
SSB Q's, all on 40. Notable number of Q's by DL3DXX, VE3UTT, and
K4AMC...we appreciate the Q's and the amazing ability to find our
signal wherever we were!
The rig used was my old K3, and the antenna farm consisted of a "bug
catcher" type antenna using the "bug catcher" coil and home-brew
copper pipe masting along with a "bug catcher" top hat!  Along with
that I had a small Outback antenna on 20 which gave us trouble with r.f. into
the car's computer (weird false error condition...didn't impact driving),
and used an MFJ heliwhip on 40. The Outback and MFJ were mounted
on an L-bracket on the roof rack...grounded the bracket to the
top of the car with braid and sheet metal screws. Suspicion is
that the hood, not having grounding straps to the body didn't
shield the engine compartment where the car's computer resides.
More experimentation is in order before the FQP in late April. We
definitely need at least three antennas to give us the
flexibility in band changing from the operator's seat...I suspect
a screwdriver antenna is too slow for rapid band changing.
Anyway, Jim and I had a great time and want to thank the SC
sponsors of this event; we enjoy participating.
73, Bert N4CW