[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7ZS M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kevin.k7zs@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7ZS M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 01:02:20 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K7ZS
Operator(s): K7ZS W7ZB KE7AUB KN7K
Station: K7ZS

Class: M/2 HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Two All-Band HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:    3     3
   80:   40    28
   40:  119    48
   20:  455    87
   15:  112    34
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  729   200  Total Score = 437,400

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Without the determination of Mark W7ZB and Andy KE7AUB, we may not have had much
of a score, which we don't anyway but WOW, that was tough!

Forecasts for the band conditions weekend turned out to be more accurate than
most weather forecasts ... unsettled bands with low solar flux....  Very short
openings on 20m to EU both mornings, 40m to EU only a few LP contacts each
morning ... 15m only open to SA and Oceania.  Asia a no show.  We tried SO hard
to make a 10m contact, moving 3 or 4 stations from all compass headings to
28.400 and to NO AVAIL.. Ugh!

I made a bad decision to let our regular Hoot Owl Andy 'The Machine' KE7AUB take
a break on the first night, as conditions were on the upswing... mistake.  Cost
us our usual 40m almost equal 20m scores of late.  SO, egg on my face.  Just let
me build the station, let them do the strategy and operating!

Lots of slow times, but the guys kept their Chins Up and kept at it until 15
minutes before the close..

Biggest Thrill ... working our FIRST JA on 15m for the LAST CONTACT of the
contest.  Wow.

Nice to have Serge KN7K spend some time in the chair Saturday, Hank KR7X coming
up both mornings to help out the worn out night guys, with 'stop bys' by Steve
N7BEF and Marc K7WXK.

Station only had a couple of odd things happen, no real 'Murphy' moments...

Special thanks to Joe NK7U for his antenna contributions and tower work over
last summer and fall ... the station is coming along nicely in huge part to his
generosity and help.

73 Kevin K7ZS