[3830] ARRLDX SSB W7AT(W7EW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W7AT(W7EW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 02:07:21 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W7AT
Operator(s): W7EW
Station: W7EW

Class: SOAB HP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted Two-Transmitter HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:    5     5
   80:   25    20
   40:   85    42
   20:  315    70
   15:   83    24
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  516   163  Total Score = 248,412

Club: The Boring Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

A great time! Sure the bands were abysmal, but where else can you spend quality
time with a few thousand of your best friends from around the world?
    Sure you could've spent your time more productively but all work and chores
with no radio makes Jack/Jill a very boring and uni-dimensional person.
   Highlights:
     Hearing the surprise in his voice from the DX when he realizes he just
worked Oregon on 10M.  10M propagation will release a few Qs when confronted
with magic, sorcery and cochlear calisthenics when applied correctly.
     Working a total of 6 JA stations on 15M. The participants were all struck
dumb by this Herculean effort but we all recovered.
     Shooting the breeze with 9V1YC on 40M. A great visit with a great Op!
Nobody bothered us because I guess nobody could hear us...especially the long
path EU stations I was looking for originally. I'd rather talk with Jimmy
anyway.
     Sleeping > 8 hours each night because I could.

     Low lights
    Rotator control for the rotating tower quit working this morning. Smudgy
contacts behind the little rubber buttons I think. Or it is just getting tired.
     Could not levitate the 80M beam tower. Either the motor is in need for a
rebuild or the wiring has become marginal.
     Nobody suggested QSY to 6M.

     The station here is 27 years old.  Time to either:
A) rebuild here, to better than the current state of the art
B) Build a new spiffy station on the salt somewhere
C) Sell most everything, go remote Op and play more golf
D) All of the above.

Anyway this was all good clean fun. It'll be something to talk about in years to
come about what lousy conditions we were subjected to.
   ps maybe I'll go S/O S/B 10M with my 3 Qs and big country count.