[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4TZ@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 15:32:22 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:   41    34
   80:   91    55
   40:  117    60
   20:  245    87
   15:   79    35
   10:   24     7
-------------------
Total:  597   278  Total Score = 497,898

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.77.0 http://www.tr4w.net

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries
 160SSB        41           41      123        34
  80SSB        91           91      273        55
  40SSB       119          117      351        60
  20SSB       247          245      735        87
  15SSB        79           79      237        35
  10SSB        24           24       72         7

 Totals       601          597     1791       278

    Final Score = 497898 points.

We had some big sustained winds the week before the contest which turned
the top 20 meter yagi to 75 degrees despite it having been professionally
tightened to 45 degrees after the CQWW CW  contest. Not such a great
direction. However, it gave me the opportunity to test the new TH7
tribander tribanders (rapid switch between EU, JA, VK, PY) which seem to
work FB.  Forgot to switch the 80 meter 4 square to SSB, so lost some of
the precious watts to the dump dummhy load.

And, while I'm listing the things I didn't do, I didn't fully test
the HDSDR bandscope software on SSB. Seems the bandscope audio was being
fed to the microphone from the computer on transmit. I noticed that the
VOX was not dropping out promptly, then was re-engaging over and over,
which I attribute to the latency of the HDSDR software. I turned off the
HDSDR until Saturday morning when I figured out how to mute the audio from
the HDSDR. I found the HDSDR of great use during the CW weekend, but of
course I wasn't feeding audio to the microphone.

I heard my first two stations on 10 meters at 1609z Saturday
(LW7DX and CX2DK) but didn't log my first 10 meter QSO until 1706z. Only
heard two stations (previously worked) on 10 Sunday.

I got back in chair at 1000z on Sunday, didn't make my first
QSO until 1122z. I was hoping for some Pacific but didn't hear any.

The ICOM 7610 is still a problem.  Despite the use of the Dunestars, it
overloaded on 10-15-20 during the CW weekend from my second radio, even
with over 200 feet of antenna separation. I used the  LBS 10 or 15 meter BPF
in the ICOM receiver loop and that cured the problem for that band, but
required manually swapping out the filters to change bands. It was
easier to see the weak signals on the ICOM and the big external monitor
than on the HDSDR from the Yaesu. The Yaesu again seemed to hear better
on 160 than the ICOM.

There seemed to be very little new meat on any of the bands Sunday. But,
I was unable to receive any responses to my CQs in the relatively empty
bands. Hopefully that won't be a problem in the CQ WPX SSB contet in
4 weeks, since we can also work stateside.

                             2019 ARRL DX Test N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
   Canada calls =     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
       NA calls =    23    30    38    46    26     0   163
       SA calls =     5    10    28    42    47    24   156
     Euro calls =    12    44    39   132     0     0   227
  African calls =     0     2     2     9     0     0    13
    Asian calls =     0     0     0     2     0     0     2
    Japan calls =     0     1     1    11     0     0    13
    Ocean calls =     1     4    11     5     6     0    27

    Total calls =    41    91   119   247    79    24   601