[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5FUV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5FUV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 19:59:53 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB LP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter LP
QTH: AR EM26
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   49    26
   40:   91    45
   20:  206    76
   15:   80    30
   10:
-------------------
Total:  417   177  Total Score = 221,427

Club:

Comments:

Aren't contests fun?

I have to say, in 40+ years of doing this, this was by far the most unusual I've
encountered, even more than Radiosport in 1978, where a flare blacked out
communications even across town on 2 meters for over an hour.

Normally at this point in the cycle, I would start on 20 meters or 80. But I
found that my usual S8 line noise (the electric company's noise tracker couldn't
get out because of weather last week) had jumped to S9+20, and the ANC-4 would
do nothing for it. Even cranking in all the tricks with DSP and shift/width, it
was possible to hear only the loud guys on 80. So 20, which was basically dead
except for SA, then 40, where everyone seemed to be. At least the noise was
overpowered by the QRM. I thought I'd go to bed early and make it up on 20 in
the morning. Wrong.

worked a (very) few guys on 80 and 40 at 11:00, and 20 finally started to open
at 12:30. But still, mostly SA, little to no EU. Kept churning away, some
southern EU, few of the usual suspects. Still, mostly SA. I think between 20 and
15, I worked the entire Brazilian callbook. Called a few CQs, absolutely no
answers on 20, one (one!) on 15. Washed the laundry, read a lot of news on my
ipad, ate junk food, watched the headset sitting on the desk a lot.

Sunday, pretty much the same, except the guys I usually work on 40 and 80
couldn't hear me. AH2R is usually easy, couldn't hear me at all. Only one JA on
80, 2 on 40, no VK or ZL anywhere. Heard my first DL on Sunday, on 20m, none on
any other band, and only 2 all weekend.

I stuck it out, but I wonder why. With conditions like these, I'm considering a
new hobby of watching paint dry.