[3830] Commonwealth VE9EX SO(A)-Open24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VE9EX SO(A)-Open24 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 06:41:12 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2019

Call: VE9EX
Operator(s): VE9EX
Station: VE9EX

Class: SO(A)-Open24 HP
QTH: Hanwell NB Canada
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
   80:  10
   40:  14
   20:  18
   15:   1
   10:   0
------------
Total:  43  Total Score = 875

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This is the first time I entered this contest.  My CW speed is 7 WPM.  G3TBK and
G3HEJ, sorry for so many errors; thanks for your patience.  Calling CQ BERU at 7
WPM is an experience.  There are a few contesters like me that appreciate the
speed.  Also, when one calls at 7 WPM, one has to be prepared to get into the
equivalent of enjoyable 30 minute ragchews from other CW ops who presume
correctly that most ops do not contest at 7 WPM.  I found I will need CW filters
for my Yaesu FT-857 if I want to use it for CW contesting.  The DSP bandpass
filters and RF gain reduction were important.  VE3KI, thanks for dropping the
speed on 80 m to mitigate the QRM.  I made 43 QSOs, about 21 times more CW QSOs
than my personal best in a CW contest.  My CW key broke during the contest and
in the middle of the contest I had to go to my workshop and do some soldering.
I used all three of my HF antennas, the 20 m vertical elevated by 9 m, the G5RV
at 12 m height, and my 160 m dipole only 12 m high.  My linear was an Ameritron
AL-80BX.  My first and last QSOs were with ZLs and it was good to have a QSO
with one of the people I met in 2012 when I was in New Zealand.  Even though we
are near the bottom of the solar cycle, it was a fun contest.  I know that next
year, I will not be able to participate due to the school break in March.
Daylight saving time now begins, meaning one less hour of sleep after this
contest; I have to set a few clocks forward an hour.  Finally, I thank the all
the operators for a most enjoyable contest, 73, Brent VE9EX.