[3830] OkQP KK6MC/M Mobile Single OpMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP KK6MC/M Mobile Single OpMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 00:11:44 +0000
                    Oklahoma QSO Party - 2019

Call: KK6MC/M
Operator(s): KK6MC
Station: KK6MC/M

Class: Mobile Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Mobile
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:
   40:  401      2
   20:  410    344
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  811    346      0  Mults = 61  Total Score = 201,564

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

The total score includes 8000 bonus points for making at least 5 QSOes on 40M
from 16 of the counties I activated.

I had a good contest. Conditions were good with 40M open all day both days,
although not as good as I remember last year being. 20M was better than last
year with openings to EU both mornings.

I improved my mobile antenna and can operate on the entire 20M band, so I
operated some phone on 20M when the CW QSOs had petered out. I think it paid
off. The mobile antenna is 10.5 feet of mast with 20M and 40M Hustler resonators
mounted horizontally on the top. The base is 18 inches off the ground. The
antenna is wide enough to cnver both the CW and phone portion on 20M, but it is
still fairly narrow on 40M. I like the resonators rather than the screwdriver I
have used in the past as one can instanteously QSY with the resonators.

The phone QSOs helped my score a lot, and I ended up with 60,000 more points
than last year. They fill in dead space.

On Saturday the bands were noisy from distant thunder storms, but that noise was
gone on Sunday. Mobiles who operate operate from county lines can’t be choosy
and I ended up in a couple of locations that were pretty noisy from power lines.
On the other hand I found a couple of good spots with no power lines that had
very low noise.

I want to thank all of the stations that followed me around and were there on
the band almost as soon as I showed up on frequency. I used APRS for much of the
trip and I hope that helped.

When I was on the Kiowa/Commanche county line I got a FaceTime call from my
daughter and 6 year old grandson. I took 10 minutes out to talk and show him
what I was doing. When I got out of the car and showed him where I was and
explained it was Oklahoma, he asked “Are you lost in Oklahoma?” That was the
highlight of the contest!