[3830] Rus DX KP4/VE3DZ(@WP3C) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] Rus DX KP4/VE3DZ(@WP3C) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 00:19:21 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest - 2019

Call: KP4/VE3DZ
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: WP3C

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Utuado, PR
Operating Time (hrs): 22:30

  160:     9     0        4         0
   80:   261    35       49        21
   40:   487   197       66        31
   20:   665    74       59        39
   15:    74     0       24         3
   10:    19    40        5         0
Total:  1515   346      207        94  Total Score = 2,794,785

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I came here to help Alfredo WP3C to restore some of his antennas (taken down by
hurricane Maria over a year ago) and initially did not plan a serious effort in
the Contest. After spending 4 days working on the towers and repairing and
putting up antennas I decided to give it a go for a change and - as usual - got
carried away.
Started the Contest barefoot (100 watts), but later turned on small 600 watts
Clipperton L amp (no 10 or 160 m), and was amazed with the pile-ups, especially
on 40 meters with newly rebuilt Cushcraft XM240 at about 80 feet.
Other antennas used: 20-15-10 EAntenna small 2-3-3 el. Tribander at 55 feet and
80 m dipole with apex at about 70 feet.
No 160 M ANTENNA - had to tune a 80-m dipole with K#'s internal tuner for thoss
very Q's that I managed to make.
The Tribander developed intermittent high SWR problem which I tried to fix
"on the fly" by just turning antenna left or right without stopping to
operate. So, 20 and 15 operation was a PITA, but 80 and 40 were great, and 10
opened late to S.A. and Southern U.S.
Obviously, multiplier is pretty low due to lack of equipment and antennas, but
overall activity was amazing, and I have to admit that this Contest is much more
fun from the Caribbean than from Canada. Also, if I had planned a serious effort
I would never use a KP4/... call. Despite being very long it appeared to be a
real nightmare on Phone when S&P'ing. I just realized that some people would
never consume a "/", whatever trick you would try offer them. :-)
Anyway, thanks for the Q's and good luck to all who participated in this one
trying to qualify for WRTC-2022.
I hope that this nice hilltop WP3C station will be back in business very soon!