[3830] WPX SSB WO1N SO(A)AB TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WO1N SO(A)AB TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 17:44:53 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO(A)AB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    5
   80:  241
   40:  100
   20:  170
   15:   60
   10:    6
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, C3-SS@38', 40M Dipole@55', 80M Dbl-L, 160M Trap-L, N1MM+

 Soapbox :

 Joined in the fun because of and in support of the Team Exuberance youth effort
instigated by the local contesting spark plug, Marty - NN1C.

 Looks like the last time I did any Q's in this contest was 2011. Despite rough
conditions managed to find the fun! I set a goal of 500Qs. N1MM says that
required a 24 hour effort. Actually hit the goal with about 4 hours left. That
included 5-6 hour sleep breaks each night/morning.

 Some CQing on all bands and a few tweaks to the station setup during the
contest to make SSB a little more enjoyable. Got some on-the-air feedback that
my audio was a bit light. Hitting the ALC a bit harder with more mic gain than
usual seemed to resolve that. After getting some feedback that my signal looked
a bit wide I spent some time to set up some mic equalization to cut the low end
response per advice in the FT5K user guide. Probably needed for the Yamaha CM500
headphones/mic. Need to spend more time
with this.

 As for the bands, 40 is my weakest band and was not fun at all. Even stateside
stations would CQ in my face the first night. However 80 was a blast with a lot
of CQing interleaved with working mults on the 2nd VFO. High bands were what
we've come to expect these days. Did find a short N-S opening on 10 during
Sunday afternoon.

 Watched the on-line scoreboard all weekend and that helped keep my
butt-in-the-chair as N3HEE and I were swapping top US low power (for those that
were reporting to the scoreboard). Learned if you double click
on your entry you get nicely formatted graphs of Q rates, etc.

 Not breaking any records here but having fun!

 73,

 Ken - WO1N