[3830] WPX SSB NT6F SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NT6F SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 19:16:26 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: NT6F
Operator(s): NT6F
Station: NT6F

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Saratoga, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 5.75

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   60
   20:   52
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

My goal was to significantly exceed my QSO count and score from last year. I
expected to put in about the same amount of time in the chair, but figured I
could do better than last year because 1) I have a better prefix for this
contest now, and 2) I have an amplifier now. I couldn't get on the air Friday
night, so Saturday morning I made a cup of copy and fired up the station. I
figured I could still get in 12 hours (equalling last year's effort), but... My
first transmission resulted in alarms from the amp. I'd made a few station
changes, but none of them should have resulted in this! Once I finished that
first cup of coffee and woke up a little, I decided something must have happened
to the trusty dipole in the last two days. I ran a sweep with the antenna
analyzer and it looked reasonable until I compared it to the last baseline
sweep. Definite differences, so I climbed up on the roof and immediately saw the
problem. One end of the dipole was hanging vertical from the balun. So I got
started pretty late. Once I got the antenna situation resolved I discovered I
was having audio issues. I was able to minimize them until I moved to 40M. The
audio distortion was major there. I finally unplugged a cable running from the
headphone jack on the rig to a mic input on my computer. Completely resolved the
audio distortion! Dealing with these issues wore me out. I managed to equal last
year's QSO count and slightly exceeded last year's score in about half the
hours. So unsatisfying in that I didn't get the hours in I'd hoped to, but very
satisfied that I essentially doubled last year's overall rate. Progress!