[3830] WPX SSB WU2X(N5DX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WU2X(N5DX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 03:34:14 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: WU2X
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N2QV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

------------
  160:   52
   80:  599
   40:  652
   20: 1693
   15:   70
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

It sure was fun to try out a new call sign.  Thanks to Scott, WU2X, for the use
of a perfect call for this contest.  Last time I operated this one was in 2012
from Arkansas.  Back then there was life on the high bands which allowed for a
big QSO total and a final score of 12.1 million points.  Oh for the days of long
openings to EU and JA on 15 meters!

A few brief comments:

160:  Sounded really good.  Several Europeans answered my CQ, all with good
signals.  This band just doesn't get any love in the WPX events.  Maybe 160 DX
contacts should count as 8 points and domestic contacts as 2 points in order to
encourage more activity.  The band was open.

80: Very good propagation both Friday and Saturday night.  Saturdays opening
lasted well past EU sunrise.  Neat to have FP5 call in the last 10 minutes of
the contest.

40: EU sunrise openings were more productive than local sunset openings.  Mostly
because it was just easier to find a frequency later at night.  Plus those late
night openings seem to favor stations that are a little more inland and a little
farther south.   I'd just assume we go back to working split.  It's just nasty
how we all try to cram in and make it work.  Or maybe we could get more spectrum
to use for SSB.  Why can nearly everyone in the world operate below 7125 except
for US?

20: Open to EU from sunrise to sunset.  I must have missed the JA opening.

15: Just excited to work SA.  Sunday was better with some Africans coming
through and even managed to work EA skew path.

10: Didn't listen

Congrats to all of the competitors out there.  I wasn't much of one this
weekend.  I realized much too late the value of maximizing U.S. runs in this
contest.  Oh well, lesson learned.   Congrats to K1LZ on a great score!

The station really worked well.  The remote setup was rock solid. I had to
remind myself that I was in Arkansas and now at the station in NY.  N2QV and
WU2X did a great job getting everything ready for the contest, and all of their
hard work is greatly appreciated.

73,
Kevin, N5DX