[3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 22:21:49 +0000

------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

OPERATING TIME: 35:44:38
            CQ COUNTER: 2356
            RUN/SEARCH: 215/792 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 757

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.77.0 http://www.tr4w.net

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points  Prefixes
 160SSB        31           31       64        15
  80SSB       220          220      595       102
  40SSB       294          293      755       142
  20SSB       406          405      974       225
  15SSB        54           54      155        25
  10SSB         2            2        6         0

 Totals      1007         1005     2549       509

    Final Score = 1297441 points.

                             2019 CQ-WPX-SSB KS9K
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =    22   133   188   105     0     0   448
   Canada calls =     6    28    27    18     0     0    79
       NA calls =     0     2     7    15     7     0    31
       SA calls =     2     3    15    38    46     2   106
     Euro calls =     0    47    43   207     0     0   297
  African calls =     1     6     7    10     1     0    25
    Asian calls =     0     0     2     8     0     0    10
    Japan calls =     0     0     0     2     0     0     2
    Ocean calls =     0     1     5     2     0     0     8

  Unknown calls =     0     0     0     1     0     0     1

    Total calls =    31   220   294   406    54     2  1007

Unknowns on  20 = 4U1A

This WPX contest was a learning experience.  Steady rain on
Saturday afternoon was accompanied by heavy precipitation
static on the top antennas on all bands. I have noticed this
before, but the ICOM 7610 seemed to magnify the problem.
It is interesting that the full size 40 meter beam at the top
of the tower does not provide any noise reduction to the
top 15 meter beam 20 feet below it.

The atmospheric noise continued to worsen as the rain changed
over to wet snow later Saturday aftenoon. Then close-by
lightning forced me to QRT for an unplanned hour break.
When I sat back down at 0055Z both 160 meter antennas had
very high SWR, as did several of my new fixed tribanders. The
10-40 meter monobanders seemed ok. The YCCC receiving array
seemed just as noisy (S/N wise) as the 4 square and 160 meter
wires.

At this time the QRN was so high that the ICOM 7610 was
unusable even with the maximum 45 dB attenuation, IPO+ on,
and Digi-Sel on the 40 meter beam. The Yaesu was usable with
the DNR set at 8, and no other changes necessary except
tolerance of some hash.

By daybreak Sunday 2 inches of very wet snow had fallen,
and I could plainly see the guy ropes of my 80 meter
4 square 400 feet from the kitchen window, as well as
the 160m wires coated with the now-frozen wet snow.
My wife was unable to open the doors to leave the house
until Monday morning when I went out the back and chiseled
the ice from the front doors.

The snow melted from the wires and ropes and tribanders
by Tuesday and everything seems back to normal. All the
affected antennas are non-moveable. The yagis which rotate
didn't seem to have the problems. I guess I moved them
frequently enough to keep them clean!

So, relatively little low band activity was possible here
the second night (and Sunday night) which definitely hurt the
score here, but I guess it was not in the cards to
catch N9NB.  My score was flat from last year, while the
number of QSOs was down 15 percent and the mults down a
few, too.  Go figure that!

While thunderstorm timeouts are unfortunately common here
in the CQ WPX CW contest, at least I won't have to worry
about freezing precipitation detuning the antennas.