[3830] ARRLDX SSB KU2M SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KU2M SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 15:24:47 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOAB LP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

  160:
   80:  242   128
   40:  223   138
   20:  191   137
   15:    2     1
   10:
-------------------
Total:  658   404  Total Score = 740,396

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

With Management away, my domestic duties were doubled and on top of that, I had
to work both Saturday and DupeDay, so my time on the radio was quite limited,
especially during the day. In order to ensure my misery, I chose to do Low
Power... and of course, I picked the wrong part of the sunspot cycle for that.
With no prop on the higher bands (and I mean NO prop... I checked 15M a few
times during the day, and it was wall to wall hiss), virtually the entire
contest world was crammed into 200 kHz on 20M during daylight hours - in other
words, it was more crowded than a Tokyo subway car at rush hour. Anemic
conditions didn't help, and the only people that were loud were the Usual
Suspects, while the Civilians that were stumbling about were small in number,
down in signal strength, and required patience, ears and a good receiver to sort
out (well, at least I had 2 out of 3). Coat-hanger stations? Fahgeddaboudit.
(note to historians: "coat-hanger station" refers to those stations
who, for lack of an otherwise plausible explanation, are using coat hangers -
indoors - for antennas - probably stuck in flower pots) All this meant there was
virtually no running, at least with low power. But the lower bands were fun,
especially 80M, which was like the wide open prairie after slugging my way
through SSB signals on 20M that were literally 1/2 kHz apart - and those were
illustrative of the more civilized sections of the band. I heard numerous
frequencies where two DX stations - and sometimes three - were calling "CQ
contest" on top of one other at the same time. Perhaps a time-sharing
system can be worked out in the future if this operating trend continues, but
given the present state of cooperation in the European Union, I doubt it.