[3830] FlQP AD4EB SO Mobile+DriverCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad4eb@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP AD4EB SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:37:41 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2019

Call: AD4EB
Operator(s): AD4EB KI4HVY
Station: AD4EB

Class: SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
QTH: All over FL
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:  1032
   20:  2088
   15:     1
   10:
--------------------
Total:  3121    0  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 836,428

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Wow, what an incredible experience operating mobile in the FLQP for the first
time.  K1TO Dan has been putting the bug in my ear for several years to drive on
down to Florida and join the fun.  Sure glad it finally worked out.  Was hoping
N4ZZ Don could have joined us, but it did not work out this year.

First, and of most importance, I must thank my wife Melody KI4HVY for driving
and navigating our 2000 Montana thru the 1003 miles we covered in the contest.
As mobile contesters know, the driver has the most important job, keeping
everyone safe and on track.  She did an awesome job, and what a trooper for
doing this!

This was by far the most intense 20 hours of CW operating I have ever
experienced. Some of the pileups were amazingly huge, and seemed to never end.
This highest 1 hour QSO total was 212, at times working 6 per minute.  Everyone
was well behaved and patient, which I really appreciated.

It took me about a week of experimenting to come up with a decent route that
covered the 50 counties. We made it thru all of them without too much trouble.
We were in most of these counties for about 20 minutes, but there were 7 on
Sunday that took over 35 minutes to drive thru.  Traffic was pretty good for the
most part, we were held up with a little construction on the highways in east
central Florida.  Melody thought she was in the Indy 500 a couple of times when
groups of sports cars would blow past us going upwards of 100 mph.

When we pulled off the road on Sunday to operate in Glades County for 15
minutes, we thought we had entered an insect brothel.  There was no way we were
even going to crack open the windows the love bugs were so incredibly thick.
After driving thru these swarms for about an hour, the car was plastered.  You
can see a photo of the van on QRZ.com if interested.

Below are the stations that I worked most often:
K3WW (48)
K3WJV (47)
K7SV (47)
NA8V (47)
VE3CX (45)
W5TM (45)
NE9U (44)
K8MFO (43)
VE3NNT (42)
VA3DF (40)
WJ9B (40)
N8II (35)

Here are all the DX stations worked.  TM6M had the strongest signal.  Was really
hoping for more DX stations operating in the contest, but special thanks to
these guys:
TM6M (13)
DK2OY (6)
HI8A (6)
OK1CF (5)
OT6M (5)
HP1XT (4)
8P5A (2)
G4BUE (2)
SM5CIL (2)
DK2CF (1)
HB9AFI (1)
JI3MJK (1)
S57S (1)
TJ4ZX (1)

Missed the states ND, DC, and HI.  The VE's were super loud and prevalent
throughout the contest.

The contest was Murphy free, everything worked great.  The radio used was in
IC-7600, antennas were hustlers.  There were several times when the noise levels
jumped up to S9+ for 15 minutes or so, and then when noise dropped off, signals
seemed much stronger than before.  Not sure if it was solar related or just
local noise.

We sure had fun, looking forward to doing this contest again.  Thanks for all
the QSOs, and special thanks those in the FCG involved in making this contest
the premier state QSO party.

73 – Jim (AD4EB) and Melody (KI4HVY)