[3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 17:32:12 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2019

Call: K7L
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: AZYMA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:   84      32
   40:  343     171
   20:  264     881     3
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  691    1084     3  Mults = 67  Total Score = 284,951

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Band conditions were not the best.  15 was dead.  20 had very short skip to NM
and Northern CA, which seemed to really reduce the amplitude of more distant
stations.  It seemed like a cloud of Es over the Southwest, preventing signals
from reaching the F-Layer.  I've seen that before, especially as summer
approaches.  40 had loud lightning static, which made for hard work.  40 SSB was
actually pretty productive later, after the lightning had abated a bit.  80 was
OK, but my high noise level on receive held me back there.

I tried RTTY for a few minutes, hopefully long enough to get spotted by
skimmers, but only three guys showed up, so I quit. The 33% scoring bonus over
CW is apparently not enough to incentivize digital participation. Maybe next
year FT4 will be allowed?

The amplifier that I use for 15 and 40 developed a problem - one second of 10dB
attenuation on returning to receive.  Between that and the lightning static, I
was going bonkers on 40, so I switched to the other rig, which meant more
tuneups, but not a big deal.  Just one more thing to fix.

I noticed that N1MM was not logging counties in the other QSO Parties, so I
stopped bothering to enter them.  As it turns out, those counties are stored in
another location within the program, so I should have continued.  No INQP plaque
for me this year.

Note to myself - watch the F3 button in N1MM.  When it lights up, the county
info is valid and will be logged properly.  This includes county line stations.
If the button does not light up, fix the info before trying to log, because one
or more QSO's will be lost.

Rig: 2 x K3's, AL-1500, Ten-Tec 417.
Antennas: 48' tower with tribander, 40-2CD, and one half-sloper for 80/160.
Rig is in a closet (see QRZ). Antennas are on a small city lot.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.