[3830] 7QP K6DAJ(@N6RO) SO(A)Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP K6DAJ(@N6RO) SO(A)Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 04:13:40 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2019

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ
Station: N6RO

Class: SO(A)Mixed LP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:   19      3      0
   80:   76     30      0
   40:  129     74      0
   20:   95     94      0
   15:    8      3      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  327    204      0  Mults = 127  Total Score = 176,403

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

7QP has a warm place in my heart, as it was the first contest I ever won (beyond
my ARRL district)...last year.  So decided to try the same category again
(SO(A)Mixed LP). However, whereas I did it from my modest home station last
year, this time Ken N6RO gave me a shot at it from his super-station, so it was
a different ballgame.

I started at 1450Z from home, operating remote into N6RO, running 100w (too much
trouble to deal with the amplifiers just to get to 150w.)  40 was great for
quite a while, but moving to 20 was challenging, as many stations were in the
skip zone. At 2200Z, things were slow and I took the opportunity to drive out to
N6RO so I could do the second half of the contest in person. The sun took
forever to go down but when it did, had some nice SO2R moments (a lot more
relaxed than CWT!). Fortified on Ken's patented "contest chili",
tripled my 160 phone score by convincing two on 160 to switch modes. Didn't
really pay much attention to the other QSO parties until Sunday, but worked a
few by accident.

Working the mobiles from different counties was a blast, but it was rather
tedious to keep checking stations to see if they've moved, as not everyone
appends their location to their call. Next time, I should get my hands on a list
of mobiles and keep it close so as to know whom to keep checking (if there is
such a list.)

Had a few minor technical issues... couldn't get the antenna rotation GUI to
appear, so couldn't turn antennas when remote.  Also, couldn't figure out how to
do SO2R on Flex with one radio in CW mode and one in SSB mode.  Given the pace
of this contest, that wasn't really a problem, but would be nice to figure it
out for faster-paced multi-mode contests like RAC.

Thanks to everyone in 7-land, and especially the intrepid mobiles. The West
rocks!  (Or it has rocks.  Or something.)