[3830] FlQP K2QO/4 Cnty Exped QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K2QO/4 Cnty Exped QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 00:55:00 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2019

Call: K2QO/4
Operator(s): K2QO
Station: K2QO

Class: Cnty Exped QRP
QTH: OKA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   40:   44     2
   20:   38     4
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:   82     6  CW Mults = 26  Ph Mults = 4  Total Score = 5,100

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

This contest was supposed to be a two day, mostly full-time affair, but
Southwest decided on Friday morning to cancel my flight from BUF to BWI and with
a short layover the flight to ECP would be toast. So, we were on the runway
waiting for the pilot to mash the throttle for about 10 minutes. He got on the
intercom and said that the plane had mechanical issues and back to the gate we
went. In the crazy 3 hours that followed, my family got rebooked to BWI and on
to ECP and I took Delta to Atlanta and ECP. We arrived in Panama City within 5
minutes of each other. At this point, the contest would be over for Friday just
about time we'd get to our beachfront condo. But then the bridge onto Okaloosa
Island got hit by a barge and we had to drive 40 miles around even though we
were within 1/2 mile of the condo. Yikes! That took another 3 hours

So now I figure I can get on for most of Sunday and that worked out OK. We were
on the 5th floor of a condo right on the Gulf and my Par End 40/20/10 was
secured to the patio railing and extended down to a fence post on the beach. My
nearly 20-year-old FT817 at 5W worked great and I got out pretty well. I had no
serious noise issue and could hear well too.

I trust that the robot will fix my score as needed. It was fun handing out a
rare county and I wish  I could have been on as planned on Saturday as my
contest club buddy K2ZR/4 from MON reported very good conditions and activity.

It might be time to try an even smaller rig like the LNR MTR3b for this type of
operation.

73,
K2QO/4 in OKA