[3830] WPX CW CJ7DZO(VE7DZO) SOAB Rookie HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW CJ7DZO(VE7DZO) SOAB Rookie HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 01:11:11 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: CJ7DZO
Operator(s): VE7DZO
Station: CJ7DZO

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: Prince George, BC
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:
   80:  139
   40:  489
   20:  841
   15:  133
   10:
------------

Club: Deep Dixie Contest Club

Comments:

Disappointing result on my end. There were many challenges along the way, but it
was still a fun time like always!

I could only work about 5 Europeans on 40m. Other than that it was fantastic
towards the US.

I don't know what was up with 20m... I could only run 4 Europeans and had a hard
time even running the US. What would happen is I would call CQ to the US, and a
European would get on my frequency and take over. Or I would attempt to call
towards EU, and a US station would take over. So the point is I needed to cover
multiple azimuths and I couldn't. I had the same problem on 40m, but not as
often.

On a positive note the new 2el 15m yagi worked fabulous and 80m was in great
shape!

I planned to operate the full 36h, but the second night I apparently sleep
walked and turned my alarm off! So I lost a good 5 hours there... Haha!

The CJ7 prefix didn't really help, most stations were very confused and it took
them a long time to verify my call. I will have to think of a better option for
WPX 2020.

Now the biggest set back was the noise. Just a few days before the contest a
power pole started acting up and was creating a ton of noise on the higher
bands. I scoped out the pole, but there was nothing I could do before the
contest. Luckily the power company will come to fix it, but not right away. So
unfortunately, I was stuck with S9+ noise on 15/20 which was unbearable.

Everything aside, it was another fantastic learning experience and I know where
to further improve!

Thanks for the Qs and CU in the next one!

David VE7DZO/CJ7DZO

Station:
Yaesu FT-1000MP MrkV
Ameritron AL-82