[3830] WPX CW VK2IM SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2im9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VK2IM SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 05:12:00 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VK2IM
Operator(s): VK2IM
Station: VK2IM

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:    6
   40:  756
   20:   14
   15:    6
   10:    0
------------
Total:  756  Prefixes = 440  Total Score = 1,926,760

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Couple weeks before contest I ordered Flex6600 – single box SO2R SDR.  I had
my eye on it for a while.  Flex does not ship directly to VK and VK dealer
doesn’t keep stock here.  So I used one of these forwarding services and
ordered it directly from US Flex.  Two weeks after the contest the radio is
finally about to leave USA.  If you ever hear MyUS.com then run like hell :(

Since I already had whole weekend for contest and mood for SDR then I had to
look for an alternative.  I made a setup with two Anan10 (one mine + one
borrowed), running from single laptop with two external monitors – N1MM on
laptop and two instances of PowerSDR on external monitors.  4 hours into contest
I was still creating virtual null-modems, virtual audio cables, hooking up
amplifiers, etc.  On the end this SO2R setup was surprisingly really nice.
Unfortunately not long after my kick-off one of the amps started playing up.
The relay contact was not closing properly on RX.  40m was open and I was done
with fixing things.  So from the SO-AB SO2R start I switched to SO-SB40 SO1R
category.  On Sunday I fixed the relay but stayed on 40 only.  Right now I’m
having second thought if 2x Flex6400 would not be better choice than single
Flex6600 for the SO2R (same cost, 6600 might need external filter too).  Anyhow,
my beloved Orion-II and trusty K3 have to quickly find a new home while they are
still in the fashion :)