[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 03:39:14 +0000

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  228    89  Total Score = 20,292

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Dreadful weekend.

Day one was 10 hours of slow slogging to net 99 QSOs.  Day two started with
horrendous line noise that stayed around most of the day.  And the thunderstorm
activity on Sunday caused numerous disconnects and plenty of additional QRN when
far enough away to safely reconnect and operate.

By far the highlight was working W7D/R in the last hour for the only two new
grids of the weekend.  Many thanks to Wyatt and Dave for a well-organized and
effective operation!  (Note that ARRL VHF rules state that you cannot operate
from a grid line simultaneously, so we just get contest credit for one of
them.)

Worked one Canadian for whom I was his first-ever 6M QSO and one semi-local for
whom I was her first ever QSO.  Good stuff.

Only 7 stations in the log from any grid starting with C or D, five of them in
the storm-aborted last hour.  Prior to that, the farthest west QSO was with
Vince K0SIX EN35 who I had the pleasure of meeting in Dayton last month.  No
stations from W5 in the log at all.

After 1100+ QSOs in 2017 and 1340 last year, this was a huge letdown, but not
entirely unexpected given the poor condx all week leading up to the weekend.  In
fact, this score is lower than the January score which doesn't seem possible.

Noticed much less MSK144 activity than in past events.  It is still a very
effective tool when the band isn't really open.  I'm sure I'm not the only one
who got frustrated with the "one decode wonders" who aren't really
workable very often on FT8.  *Many* incomplete QSOs not logged there.

Noticed a few EU being worked from FL this morning, but that is the direction of
peak noise, so it was pointless to try.  Worked VP9 with the beam 90 deg off to
null the noise as much as possible.

Only worked three rovers, but kudos to all of you nonetheless.

Thanks for the QSOs and hope that 6 picks up soon.

73, Dan K1TO EL87 west central FL