[3830] ARRL June VHF W9RM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W9RM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 14:29:02 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  480   198  Total Score = 97,218

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

After a pathetic start to the contest (no 6M openings and a myriad of
self-inflicted computer problems), the contest turned itself around on Sunday
and provided a couple of decent 6M runs.  When I went to sleep Saturday at
midnight, I had a total of FIFTY contacts and a lot of thoughts about exactly
WHY I was doing this and had worked hard all week with the new antenna system.

The 6M openings were OK, but not excellent and too few, and the jury is STILL
out on whether FT8's opioid grip on vast tracts of hamdom has hurt our
capability for running rate.  I still suspect it has, but it's hard to prove
unless we see a nice, extended opening.  I had a couple of 80/hr full hours,
which is nothing, and there were A LOT of signals on 313, which I was watching
on the SDR waterfall screen, even when the band was producing 40-over openings
on SSB.  I made it a point of (foolish ??) pride to get OFF digital when SSB
could be run at any rate.  There is just NO rate to be had on FT8 - too much
weirdness and sketchy operating technique.

Anyway, the 2019 June contest was better then the last several years, but didn't
produce anywhere near the conditions needed to run up a good score against the
"east".  Thanks to local club members for getting some should-be-easy
mults that usually go un-worked on the air.  Special thanks to KK6MC for a rover
run out in my direction on Sunday that produced a bunch of usually un-worked
mults.  Running 6M with Duffy showed the new, higher 6M antenna really opens up
close-in possibilities  Unfortunately, I STILL was unable to work MY OWN grid on
any band.  I really need to get the XYL a license...

50:   440 x 162
144:  29 x  25
222:  6  x  6
432:  5  x  5