[3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 03:35:42 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  509   181  Total Score = 95,749

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I feel very fortunate - seemed W9 was the place to be for this one.  6m had
something happening virtually the entire contest.

After the first big opening to the EC on Saturday with crappy rates to show for
it I definitely had some doubts creeping in about FT8 dooming us for eternity.
The second and even better big opening to the EC righted the ship.  Rates >
100/hour for a sustained period.  From my station, > 100/hour moments are
about all I can hope for.  The rest of the contest was just a grindfest between
using WSJT modes for multipliers and SSB/CW for S&P and "run"
rates.

I tried to get to SSB early at the first signs of huge FT8 signals and felt it
was to my advantage.  Heard many "you are the only SSB signal I hear"
comments.  I think it was W9RM that said a crappy rate SSB hour is still better
rate than the best rate FT8 hour.  Bullseye.

Big thrill to scratch 3 more FFMA grids off the list; DM35 - thanks whoever
spotted KE7GRO and DN10/11 - Thanks Wyatt and Dave, the W7D/R team, what a show
you guys put on!  27 to go.  Had a near miss with AG6EE/R - DM18 when I was
CQing west and hoping late Sunday.  He called in but faded & never heard
from again before we could complete.  Probably would've completed the QSO on
FT4...should be VERY exciting to see what openings we can exploit when the new
FT4 tool is available in the arsenal!  Note for the purists I think we could've
made it easily on SSB.  Signals were loud but the opening was < 45 seconds.

For a ham event ghost like myself the past decade (career, family, health
issues, I know...excuses), I greatly appreciated the unsolicited invites to
Dayton and an upcoming local hamfest.  You guys rule.

73

Jim KO9A  (EN52xc)

R:  TS-2000X

6m:  5 el @ 30'