[3830] ARRL FD K2TOP 2A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K2TOP 2A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:46:00 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day - 2019

Call: K2TOP
Operator(s): N2NC N2NU W2BVH W2KV WB2WCO WW2Y
Station: K2TOP

Class: 2A LP
QTH: NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 15.5

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   88     25      0
   40:  251     40      0
   20:  316    148      0
   15:   34      7      0
   10:   15     21      0
    6:    2     48     11
    2:    4     12      3
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  710    301     14  Total Score = 1,749

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

It was nice having new and old friends participating in Field Day this year.
Brings back fond memories as kids experiencing the thrill and excitement of
being involved in setting up antennas and equipment, operating, socializing,
consuming substantial quantities of W2KV's awesome contest chili, and tearing it
all down by mid day Sunday. The obvious difference compared to then is that this
time seemed to fly by with a sonic boom! Boy I feel old.

After at least six straight days of torrential downpours here in mid Atlantic
states, the weather gods decided to be kind to us radio folks by mid day Friday
providing us 2 and half consecutive days of perfectly dry and sunny conditions.

We used a FT-1000 plus one FT-991 networked via two laptops using Wintest
software.

 Antennas consisted of a 80m dipole at 100ft fed with ladder line to be used on
multiple bands via a Johnson 275W Matchbox, 40m dipole at 75ft, and 20m dipole
at 60 ft. Only missed one out of 7 shot attempts using a tennis ball antenna
launcher. Would have been 6 for 6 if it wasn't for the 5 gallon portable air
tank dropping down to 40 PSI after the 5th round. Initially, it was compressed
to nearly 100PSI, limited by the capability of the compressor. Needed at least
50 PSI for the last shot, achieved this by grabbing a bicycle pump. The distance
of the trajectory goes exponentially with linear change in pressure.

We decided to add two small VHF beams, one for 6 and one for 2 meters in the mix
for us VHF fanatics. They were mounted on a Penninger Radio Tipper Tire Mount
portable rotating 30ft tall mast. We were able to work a fair number of stations
on 6m using mostly SSB via sporadic E and including one meteor scatter QSO with
N0AN in Iowa using the MSK-144 digital WSJT-X mode. On 2 meters, we were able to
work a few distant QSOs using mostly CW and SSB modes into New England, KD8UD
and N4ASF in Virginia, and one in Ontario Canada, VE3ZV.

Thank you for the contacts and making Field Day a fun event as always.
Also, thanks goes to Dave, W2KV for making Field Day a reality.

73,
Peter, WW2Y on behalf of the crew.